We get it. No matter which side of the issues you are on, you want your voice to be heard – and you want to make your presence known. That’s why The Wink is the perfect place to stay when you’re in DC to make a difference. We have years of experience in helping out guests get to and from important events, protests and marches in the nation’s capital – and we have lots of helpful insider tips to share. After all, we live here!
March for Life
Date: Friday, January 18th, 2019
Location: Rally held on the National Mall at 12th St, between Madison Drive & Jefferson Drive. March follows starting between 12th and 14th Streets at Constitution Avenue, and works its way up to the Supreme Court and Capitol Building.
Time: Rally starts at 12:00 p.m.; March starts at 1:00 p.m.
Getting There: Take the Metro to either Federal Triangle, Smithsonian or Metro Center and walk to the rally site.
The world’s largest pro-life event is gearing up for an impressive turnout in 2019. Sharing a vision for a culture of life, supporters will participate in the 46th annual march dedicated to showing their wholehearted support for an end to abortion. This year the event will be preceded by a live podcast with Ben Shapiro starting at 10:00 a.m., followed by a musical opening with Sidewalk Prophets before the rally. After the rally and march, there will be Silent No More testimonies outside of the Supreme Court. Then, it’s time to head over to the March for Life Expo, where you can connect with pro-life ministries and organizations, network with like-minded folks, get free stuff and much more!
Date: Saturday, January 19th, 2019
Location: The March starts outside of the White House. The rest of the route is still pending; check their website for the latest updates.
Time: 10:00 a.m.
Getting There: Take the Metro to either Farragut West Metro Station or the McPherson Square Metro Station, both on the Blue and Orange Lines, and walk to the Pennsylvania Avenue side of the White House.
The Women’s March just announced the date for their annual march, and women across the nation are once again planning to descend on DC to show their support. The mission? To gather the power of the many diverse women that make up our great nation’s communities together in order to generate marked political and social change. This women-led movement also inspires youth and men to come out and show their support, while encouraging new organizers and activists to get involved in their own local communities through synchronized marches and ongoing events. Women’s March is also focused on education regarding women’s issues through trainings, outreach programs and activities across the country, with a focus on dismantling existing systems of oppression through nonviolent protest and resistance while building inclusive programs and groups directed by dignity, self-determination and respect.
General Tips and Information
With hundreds of thousands of people attending these events, there are some general things that it’s helpful to know when you are planning for your event. Luckily, we have all the inside info.
2. Buy your card ahead of time, and have it ready before you walk into the station and in your hand before you enter the fare gate.
3. Don’t wait for the gate to close after the person ahead of you; simply keep walking and tap your card as you pass.
Obviously, we think our conveniently located Washington hotel offers you with the best place to stay in DC, not just for attending your event, but so that you can squeeze in some time to enjoy all that the Dupont Circle area has to offer during your stay. We also have an incredibly helpful staff ready to point you in the right direction for your march – and for fabulous dining and local attraction options. We even offer valet parking onsite, in case you decide to drive in to town and then take the metro. No matter which side of the issues you’re on, we have your back!
If you’re planning to visit Washington DC this fall, you’re in luck! October and the following fall months offer visitors plenty of things to do, including a host of unique festivals, area attractions, and popular events in DC. The Wink hotel. is situated conveniently close to the best of everything the capital city has to offer, making it the perfect base for your next visit. Here are five of our fall faves to consider.
1. Sauf Haus Bier Hall & Garden Nothing says fall quite like a classic beerfest! Luckily, right here in Dupont Circle you can find a lively two-level Beer Garden featuring a rooftop hall serving up authentic German beer and food. Best of all, they’re open all year round, so you can enjoy the atmosphere of Oktoberfest any time you’re in town. And you get some modern extras, like live acoustic music on Thursdays and plenty of TVs for watching your favorite fall sports. Prost!
2. Wunder Garten If you prefer an outdoor setting to enjoy the fall weather while toasting, this climate-controlled patio features not only classic German and Austrian beer, but local brews as well as wine, cider, and snacks. There’s even a firepit serving up delicious S’mores. And if you want something more filling, CaliBurger DC delivers their tasty offerings to you right at Wunder Garten. We call that wunderfull!
3. All Things Go Fall Classic For a fabulous fall festival, visit one of the District’s coolest neighborhoods, Union Market, for this music event that also features plenty of delicious local food to savor. Musical performances this year include Maggie Rogers, Carly Rae Jepsen, Billie Elish, BØRNS, and Betty Who.
4. H Street Festival One of the best parts of DC is its many distinctive neighborhoods. What started as a block party has grown into one of the most popular and diverse fall events in DC. The festival offers distinct stages featuring music, dance, fashion, arts, poetry, and more, all celebrating the many cultures and heritages that combine to create our nation’s capital. Choose to simply be a spectator, or get involved at the many interactive art and exhibitor stations set up along the 11 blocks that this event encompasses. There is truly something for everyone here!
5. Snallygaster Another fall festival option is Snallygaster, showcasing more than 300 craft ciders and beers from more than 120 breweries at booths spread out along famed Pennsylvania Avenue. This highly-anticipated event also features a fantastic selection of DC’s popular food trucks accompanied by a great lineup of live music. You’ll have a monstrously good time!
If you’re planning a fall visit to Washington DC, our conveniently located hotel provides you with the perfect base to enjoy all that the area has to offer. For more information on these or other fall events
Planning to host a meeting Washington, DC this year? Why not choose The Wink as your venue? Placing you and your attendees perfectly in the midst of the best of everything Washington DC has to offer, our hotel is the perfect setting for success. Here’s why.
1. Inspiring Venues
All of the carefully kept venues at The Wink are designed for comfort, style, and getting down to business. Fashioned with a focus on both connectivity and creativity, we imbue business meetings and corporate events at our hotel with sophistication and motivation. Our tech-savvy venues are perfect for everything from training seminars and board meetings to holiday dinners and awards banquets – and we can easily host from 14 to 300 of your most dedicated employees and valued guests.
2. Ideal Location
Location, location, location. There’s a reason why event planners spend so much time choosing the setting for successful events. The Wink is situated in the very heart of DC’s exciting Dupont Circle neighborhood, placing you and your guests within easy reach of shopping, dining, theater, nightlife, and the arts. It’s the perfect place for team-building activities like attending a Kennedy Center show or enjoying a dinner cruise on the Potomac River. And even if you never leave the hotel, you’ll sense the energy of the thriving tech, fashion, art, and cultural scene that surrounds you.
3. Fabulous Food
At The Wink, we invite you and your guests to arrive hungry, because we feature some of the most mouthwatering event catering menus you’ll find in Washington DC. Featuring a focus on seasonal, locally grown ingredients with always customizable menus, our goal is to leave you and your attendees satisfied and fueled up for success, from start to finish.
4. Event Planning Expertise
Seriously. Our experienced staff has worked with politicians and diplomats, so we know how to host exceptional events that are first class in every way. All we need you to provide is a venue selection and a guest list, and we can take care of all the details for you. Or, we can walk you through the specifics and let you hand-pick every element to create your event. Either way, you can count on our versatile, highly trained staff to ensure that everything goes off flawlessly!
5. Holiday Celebrations Extraordinaire
Washing DC’s been there, done that crowd has taught us the importance of making every event unique. From wining and dining to just the right entertainment and décor, we offer everything from state-of-the-art audiovisuals to classic surrounding in our exclusive venues. From intimate dinners to ballroom galas, we have you covered!
For an inspiring location to exceptional accommodations,every event at The Wink is unforgettable. Contact us today,and start planning for success!
If you’re considering attending one of Washington DC’s impressive universities, then you’ve come to the right place. At The Wink, not only is our hotel situated conveniently near to all of these impressive establishments, but we can offer you an insider’s guide to not only the universities themselves, but all of the fun and exciting things to do and see while you’re in town!
A bit more about the area’s top three educational institutions.
1. George Washington University
At the impressive capitol campus located in the heart of the famed Foggy Bottom neighborhood, George Washington University places you mere blocks from many of DC’s most popular attractions, including the White House, the National Mall, and the many incredible free Smithsonian museums. Instead of dining halls, students here get a meal card that they can use to eat at dozens of local restaurants or buy groceries, making their meals incredibly unique and enjoyable. This means you get to explore the local food scene while attending college – and you can get a taste during your visit at one of their over 105 area dining partners.Choose one to try for yourself, with options including sushi, freshly-made brick oven pizza, and the ever-popular Foggy Bottom Pub. And don’t forget that GW also offers the 26-acre Mount Vernon Campus, which you can explore via bus ride from the visitor center. Learn more about Life at GW.
2. Georgetown University
You’re likely to be impressed immediately by the “Georgetown Bubble” – the impressive, historic neighborhood surrounding the university which offers everything a student needs, all within walking distance. Before or after your campus tour, consider stopping for lunch at The Tombs, on the edge of campus to enjoy not only amazing food, but a glimpse of the archetypal Georgetown experience, particularly when students gather at night to unwind while watching a Hoya game. For dessert, consider stopping by the mouthwatering Georgetown Cupcakes – where the line is definitely worth the wait! While you might be blown away by the locale and worried about the cost, keep in mind the university’s impressive commitment to meet the entire financial need of each undergraduate they admit.Learn more about what it means to be a Hoya.
3. Howard University
Did you know that Howard University produces more African-American Ph.D.’s than any other university in the world? And its proud history of breaking barriers stretches all the way back to its founding in 1867 – including incorporating five white female students into its classes during its first year.You may want to start with a virtual tour to get a feel for Howard Life and what the student experience is like,but nothing beats being able to actually visit in person. Many alumni consider the best part of living on Howard’s campus to be the social life,which you can get a glimpse of during a campus tour – or simply ask current students about it while you are there. And as long as you’re in town, nearby attractions off-campus include the Smithsonian Butterfly Habitat Garden, the renowned 9:30 Club intimate concert venue, and the African American Civil War Memorial & Museum.
Contact us at The Wink to learn more about our convenient hotel located near Howard University (2.1 miles away), Georgetown University, (1.6 miles away) and George Washington University (.6 miles away) – and start planning your college visit to DC today!
One of the many incredible joys of Washington DC is the many diverse neighborhoods here to explore and enjoy. The Wink is located in the midst of one of the most popular areas of DC – Dupont Circle. Here are our top five suggestions for fabulous things to do during your stay in and around Dupont Circle.
1. Brewmaster Tour at the Heurich House Museum: Learn what it takes to be a brewmaster at this fascinating museum housed in Christian Heurich’s mansion, also known as the Brewmaster’s Castle, dating back to 1892. Known as DC’s most successful brewery, the Chr. Heurich Brewing Co. operated from 1872 until 1956. This event includes an hour-long mansion and museum tour along with a local craft beer tasting. Each guest enjoys one beer flight featuring 4 oz pours of three local beers, gets to explore the Brewmaster’s Castle, and then can mix and mingle in the Conservatory where there are full beers on sale.
2. Events at The Phillips Collection of Modern Art: America’s first museum of modern art, The Phillips Collection proudly provides new perspectives on a broad selection of modern artists, with a permanent collection of over 4,000 impressive artworks ranging from French impressionists like Renoir to American innovators like Rothko. You’ll always find works from the permanent collection on display along with rotating exhibitions and special programming including Sunday Phillips Music concerts at 4:00 p.m. and Phillips After 5 held on the first Thursday of the month, offering an exciting combination of entertainment and art with live music, specialty cuisine including classic food trucks, and a full cash bar.
3. Walking Tour of Embassy Row: Start at The Embassy of Australia to follow a two-mile walk along Massachusetts Avenue starting at Scott Circle and extending to the north side of the United States Naval Observatory. Embassy Row offers a unique view of dozens of embassies, diplomatic missions, and impressive sights including the Nelson Mandela statue outside of the Embassy of South Africa and the Mahatma Gandhi Memorial in front of the Embassy of India.
4. Tours and Treasures at The Mansion on O & O Street Museum: Engage in a fabulous treasure hunt at this unique, historic venue featuring period details including original Tiffany stained glass windows and architectural features along with themed rooms and suites filled with antiques, unique art, and authentic furnishings. Take a food and beverage tour or try a thrilling treasure hunt within at least 60 of the more than 100 rooms, passing through at least 32 of the 70 secret doors. It’s fun for all ages!
5. Laughs at DC Improv: Washing DC’s most popular live comedy club for decades, the DC Improv offers side-splitting local and national comic acts nearby at incredibly reasonable prices. With both a 285-seat main showroom and a 60-seat lounge, you’ll find stand-up, comedy roasts, improv acts, and much more almost every night of the week. They also have a fun souvenir store, group events – and even a comedy school. Buy your tickets early, as many of their hilarious acts sell out!
For an exceptional experience every time you visit Washington DC, stay with us at The Wink. We want you to get the most out of every moment you’re here, and we place you within easy reach of all these unique things to do in Dupont Circle – and many more throughout our Nation’s Capital.